Monday, March 17, 2008

impromptu circus








tidbits.

people smoke inside of my school. I haven't yet seen it in a classroom but I won't be surprised when I do.

I'm going to take up capoeira, it seems like the right thing to do. I was at a park this weekend, photos included, and it took me just a few minutes to realize I was pretty much inside of a circus. capoeira, tight roping, poi, juggling, drum circles and that weird Cirque d'Soleil stretchy rope that hangs from the ceiling (or in this case a tree) acrobatic act. last but not least a man dressed like George Washington playing the recorder.

I went to an amazing art exhibit. the artist had taken old photos and recreated them with the same people in the exact same place. the catch comes because the people in the fotos originales, or some of the people in them, were disappeared during the dirty war. giving the newer foto a rather eerie feel. some of them had no one, some just just a child grown, and some had parents without their children. the artist was Gustavo Germano and they were at the Centro Cultural Recoleta, if you have any interest in looking it up. acá es un video de youtube, y después un sitio del web con muchas de las fotos.
http://www.blogger.com/post-create.g?blogID=5180459258498676229

http://weblogs.larazon.com.ar/fototeca/archives/2008/01/desaparecidos-hombres-y-mujeres-con.html

anyways, these pictures are from my day in Recoleta, a neighborhood in Bs. As. the cat is not dead, contrary to popular belief, and she was in a cemetery... full of cats. the entire place is above ground like New Orleans but I think it is more for prestige than it is for reasons of soil climate, because a lot of them have glass doors so you can see inside, and they have big marble staircases going down. I assume they put people down there, but there are also shelves on the upper levels full of coffins and photos and flowers also. it was the creepiest cemetery I have ever been in. some had been broken into and you could see where people had put crowbars and stuff into the edges of the coffin. only the richest of the rich go there and Evita is there. though her casita was not nearly as extravagant as some. I have a lot of other cool pictures from there but I haven't gone through them yet. more to come.

This weekend I'm going to Tandil with a bunch of local and non local couch surfers to go camping. there seems to be some sort of body of water that you can at least kayak in. can't wait.

No comments: